What skills have I learned about processing, editing, presenting and evaluating information?

     As a student of communication I have learned that the ability to think critically, and with an open mind is a valuable skill when compiling information to present to your peers, or colleagues. This particular skill is an asset within the business realm because as a professional within marketing, finance, business management, or project development you constantly need to research the best practices within your field which will allow your company to flourish.
     I feel that learning to think critically has served me well as a woman because too often women are treated as the lesser sex, and as a result they come to believe that their intellectual abilities are less than men's. Despite outperforming boys in the classroom, "Career progression often depends on taking risks and advocating for oneself-traits that girls are discouraged from exhibiting. This may explain why girls academic gains have not yet translated into significantly higher numbers of women in top jobs" (Sandberg, pg. 15, 2013).
     Through my communication program I had the chance to take an Introduction to Digital Photography course, where I learned the basics of photography and the basic techniques of PhotoShop. My editing experience in relation to visual media was minimal, the majority of my time was spent working on research papers and presentations that required the ability to compile data, extrapolate the relevant information, and then translate that into something coherent and interesting. I personally feel my greatest strength is my ability to compile research and present it in an effective, succinct, and accessible way that gives simplicity to complex topics.
     An example of my research work is shown in my Gender in Media Final Project, Imaginary Romance: Bridesmaids and The White Wedding, where I analyzed how the film Bridesmaids depicted the struggle that women face when planning their fairy-tale wedding. The project outlines how the traditional wedding undermines female financial success by selling an unrealistic ideal of love, and sets marriages up to fail by convincing couples to in-debt themselves in order to hold a lavish wedding thus leading to higher rates of divorce. In order to create a comprehensive research project which assessed the social implications of weddings, the emotional impact of planning them, as well as the impact they have on the financial future of the couple getting married I had to diligently research through various books and journals, and then decide what data was relevant and what to disregard.
     The cumulative result of my work was a seamless compilation of resources that explained various aspects of the traditional white-wedding, which is predominantly heralded in America as the most desired and encourage wedding trope within the media. By creating this piece of work I not only created a resource for individuals looking to learn about the negative impact that traditional wedding beliefs have on American women, and their partners, I also learned new information about wedding traditions that I will consider when planning my own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How prepared am I for careers in the industries and professional practices of communication and business?

Human Sexuality and Sex Education Coursework

How can I become a responsible/ethical media producer?